New Rules for Driving your transporting and driving your road car and competition car in Europe post Brexit

New Rules for Driving your transporting and driving your road car and competition car in Europe post Brexit

The first thing to note is that you must have least 6 months on your passport which must also be less than 10 years old.

Driving in Europe

Your photo UK driving licence will still be valid in Europe but you will need a Green Card issued by your Insurance company which proves you are insured for this vehicle. 

If you have a collection of cars, you need a separate Green Card for each car, bike or the tow vehicle you have with you. If you have a trailer you will need a Green Card for that too!

You will also need a GB sticker, and in some countries you will need an IDP (International Driving Permit) but not in the EU, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein. Strangely you will need an IDP for Monaco! There are 3 different types of IDP, the country you are visiting will determine which one you need. You can get your IDP in person at main UK Post Offices. They cost £5.50 at the moment. 

There is a list of countries and their respective IDPs here:

Towing a trailer 

If you are just driving on holiday or attending a race meeting in your own car, you just need your V5 document, your driving licence and the green card.

If you are towing your own trailer you need a Green Card for it. If it is plated over 3500 kg or you are transporting cars for someone else (whatever the size of trailer) you will need to register it. 

It costs just £26 to register and you will need to ensure it is plated with the right information.  Trailer registration can be found here:

Towing your own car to Europe

If you are towing your own race car to Europe, you need:

  • Your driving licence
  • GB Sticker
  • V5 document of your tow vehicle
  • Green card for the tow vehicle
  • Your passport
  • The V5 registration of the competition car (on the trailer)
  • Green Card for the competition car
  • Trailer registration (if needed – see above) – and green card for the trailer

If your car is road registered and going to Europe for racing purposes then as long as it has insurance and a V5 it DOESN’T need a carnet (ie ata carnet) – BUT this has yet to be tested!

If your car is NOT road registered and you don’t have a V5, or it is being transported by someone else – like your team – you WILL need an ATA Carnet or temporary export note.  But once you have purchased your Carnet it will last 12 months.

If you are UK race or rally licence holder you can access a special arrangement Motorsport UK has secured with the Greater Birmingham Chamber of Commerce (GBCC) for Motorsport UK members of a fixed price processing/arrangement fee of £240+VAT for the Carnet, PLUS an additional payment which is the Premium. The premium can either be a refundable deposit of 40% of the vehicle’s insured value or a non-refundable insurance premium to cover the 40% proportion of the premium.

Here’s the link. If you have left the paperwork to the last minute, there is also a fast track service for a premium of £35 + VAT. Other companies such as Bespoke Handling also offer an ATA Carnet service.

Getting your car transported by a commercial operator or team:

If you place your road/ race car in the hands of a commercial operator it becomes ‘Goods’ and regardless of having a V5 & Insurance it will still need a Green card inside the car, and a Carnet to include all spares.

The information your transporter will require is: Make, model, registration number, chassis no, colour, plus a list of any spares and their weight. If any of the paperwork is incorrect it could stop the whole shipment, so it must be accurate. It won’t be possible to do last minute car changes, as the ATA Carnets will be booked and paid for in advance.

Untested yet is the issue where parts and lubricants may be used on a race event and return shipments differ from the out-going paperwork. This may hinder returns to the UK. A simpler system is going to be needed going forward.

The UK government is currently offering simplified import paperwork for a 12 month grace period for any car already in Europe which needs to return to the UK.